Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Days 19,20

For Day Nineteen I did not write a blog post out of shame, as fiction-wise I wrote nothing either. It was also a very uneventful day in general. I rode the train to Pamplona, got totally lost in Pamplona, and then once I found the hostel I went to sleep. On the train I sat next to the worst-smelling man in the world.

However, on Day Twenty I wrote 2000 words, which almost makes up for my prior productive failures. I consider it an important comeback. As I expected, it is easy to write in Pamplona, because there is nothing to do here. It is the most boring city I have ever been in, other than Utica, and at least in Utica there are crimes happening. Also, all the other residents at the hostel are fifty years of age and older, and I've found that talking to old people is not something I'm interested in, for better or for worse. So for the next three days or so I will be bored, and hopefully I will write a great deal.

To manufacture some excitement,  I walked out of the hostel into the city with no map and no directions, took off down a random street, and looked out for something interesting.. I wound up discovering a very long trail that took me through some of rural areas of Pamplona. I saw a ranch filled with miniature horses, and I smelled more than shit than I've smelled in a long time. It was very nice, and I felt as though I were authentically in Spain for the first time. Then, coming back, I got so lost that I thought I would never be found. But I am getting used to being lost. At this point I almost prefer it to knowing where I'm going. And it also seems that, as if by some mastery of fate, I always find my way.

There is more to say, but right now I wish to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment